Please Tell Me What To Do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Tell Me What To Do

I know I've posted about this before but this morning when I woke up, my scalp is EXTREMELY itchy. So bad that I want to cry.

I'm trying my best not to itch but it's soooo itchy.

There's no redness, no flakes or anything. I rubbed cortisone itch cream on different spots. It's helping but I don't know if that's because the cream created a cold sensation or if there's an allergy.

I can still feel everything itching and tingling. I just want to rip my scalp off!!

I feel bad you're in such pain. For 8 years I have had hard bumps below the surface of the scalp, around the crown of my head, about a millimeter across, emerge into hard, painful red bumps when brushed or washed that didn't look serious to the skin doc. but they turn itchy and hot painful at times, and I can't go outdoors without a hat.

He said it could be leftover dermatomes (nerve paths) from when I had chicken pox as a kid, or a hair follicle issue that can come with age or autoimmune diseases.

Anyway, a beautician told me to put tea tree oil on them-- I've noticed a lot of beauty shops carry tea tree oil shampoos. I buy the straight oil in the vitamin aisle at Walmart. The other thing is I use scalp shampoo that contains coal tar. They both alleviate the symptoms, but the bumps never disappear.

I also ordered a showerhead with a filter. I take a lot of short (2 minute) showers, especially in hot weather, and the tap water out here is undrinkable IMO.

Comment

Ah!

Thank you so much. I will go pick up the oil. I have heard of that tar stuff. My dad uses it on his head and it stinks lol I'll stick with trying the oil.

I used it on my hair a few years ago. I didn't really have these problems then but maybe that's why.

I have the bumps too. I have never looked at them because I can't see them. My scalp has cooled down because I made it a point not to itch. I can still feel the itching and tingling though. The bumps I feel don't itch themselves but they form after a deep itch.

Thank you again for the idea. I will go out and buy it when my hubby gets off of work. Thank you, thank you!!!!

Comment

Tea tree oil is great stuff, but the undiluted oil can be too strong for some people's skin and end up making matters worse.

You may need to dilute it with a neutral oil. Jojoba oil is an excellent carrier, but it's expensive. Olive oil will do, and is good for your hair too.

If the tea tree oil doesn't help, I have a couple of other ideas for you.

What you really need is to be seen by a dermatologist, but that'll have to wait until you have some kind of insurance coverage.

I'm sorry you're having the awful itchies.

Comment

Thanks Sequoia. I have virgin olive oil here at home. Should I mix the 2 together, rub it into my scalp and leave it there for a bit?

Comment

I've had same thing

I've had the same thing with my scalp! Tea tree oil is very strong and has an extremely strong smell, something like turpentine. I went to my dermatologist and he said the problem is not topical but internal. He gave me Elocon lotion, prescription, and it will penetrate the scalp and get to the problem. Works like a charm. I went absolutely nuts, just like you, until I went to the dermatologist.

Let me know if the other stuff people are suggesting is working. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jamilea View Post
              Thanks Sequoia. I have virgin olive oil here at home. Should I mix the 2 together, rub it into my scalp and leave it there for a bit?
              That sounds like a good idea.

Leave it there for as long as you can stand having oily hair, though. Ideally, follow up with a shampoo containing salicylic acid, which is good for most scalp conditions. You needn't get a brand name product such as Head & Shoulders...the cheaper generic or house brand will do fine.

Good luck!

Comment

I have a skin rash that the dr's say is a form of dandruff that speads to the skin it is itch and it makes my sclap itch also. Can't remember the name of it right now. Anyway the treatment they told me to do is use selsun Blue shampoo (name brand only) rub a good amount on itchy spots let it sit for 30 mins or so then wash off.

I was told to do it everyday, I dont know if that is possible for you as you would have to wash your hair daily.
                "Therefore we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day." 2 Cor. 4:16

Comment

I rinse hair with Sea Breeze antiseptic/astringent. My hair stylist got me onto this and it helped immensely. I also have no flaking, no dryness, and it's not an allergy to the shampoo. I love this stuff. It soothes the nerves in the scalp for some reason. I don't have to understand why. I just accept the help!
                  "...the joy of the Lord is your (my) strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Comment

Do you take Copaxone?
                    I started having this symptom acutely after taking a shot and chronically ranging from mild to severe.

Take an antihistamine if so

Comment

Originally posted by jamilea View Post
                      My talked to my mother (who owned and ran her own salon, AND is a "life-long" beautician). Without me mentioning ANYTHING other than your itchy dry scalp, she told me of using olive oil on hair (rubbing it in thoroughly), then putting a plastic bag over your head and letting it set (under low heat dryer preferably) for 20 min. Then rinse with mild conditioning shampoo.

Personally, I also wanted to mention that you can get placenta to put on your hair as a conditioning agent. I used to use it once every other month, when I was coloring my hair.
                      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I may have to try some of this stuff.

My neyurontin usually helps. I still get the itchies, but not as bad as I used to.

I hope you find some relief.

judySz

Comment

Working...
                        X