Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transition from 4-AP to Ampyra

Hi,

I've been on 4-AP and would love a time release of this. Has anyone switched to Ampyra from 4-AP and how did it go?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Kat
    Nothing is Impossible.......

Dx'ed in 1988
    Founded MSWorld in 1996

Hi Kat,

I switched from 4-AP about 3 1/2 months ago after being on 4-AP for 1 1/2 years. As I recall, I stopped 4-AP for 1 day, then started Ampyra. After the first week, I was ready to stop Ampyra because I felt much worse. Then, I gradually stabilized over the next couple of weeks. After week 5, I noticed a few improvements such as improvements in foot drop, heat sensitivity and sensation. That lasted for about 5-6 weeks, then the improvements seemed to disappear. I've had some good days, and many not so good. I've read that some others have experienced this also. I have no idea why this seemed to work better than 4-AP, but it definitely helps, but not as much as it had been which is really annoying. I hope it helps you. Good luck!
    Jenna
    Dxed R/R 1999 ,Avonex 1999-2003,Rebif 2003-7Tysabri 2008-2013, JC +

Comment

Thanks for telling me this... I have a very similar history and really, if the 4-AP is working maybe I'll wait a little and learn a bit more!

Kat

Dx'ed in 1988
      Founded MSWorld in 1996

Comment

i also switched from 4AP to ampyra about 3mo. ago. i don't see much difference in effectiveness between the two. what i do notice is the ampyra lasts a full 12hrs. and i wouldn't want to be without it. i took 4AP for about a year and ahalf prior to ampyra. so my improvements happened earlier and it's more difficult to notice improvements now.

Comment

Hi,
          Thanks for the info. I think i will try it. One question, how did you do the switch? Did you have to go off of 4-AP completely? If yes for how long?

Really appreciate hearing your experience!

Kathleen

Dx'ed in 1988
          Founded MSWorld in 1996

Comment

i just went off the 4AP and started ampyra the next morning. i had no side effects.

Comment

Hi,
              Without saying who.... Did you get your 4AP compounded in FL?
              Just curious. TY
              KAT

Dx'ed in 1988
              Founded MSWorld in 1996

Comment

Yes, I got mine compounded in Florida.
                Jenna
                Dxed R/R 1999 ,Avonex 1999-2003,Rebif 2003-7Tysabri 2008-2013, JC +

Comment

I had the option of switching to Ampyra but didn't because my out-of-pocket expense would have more than doubled. I'm told that the primary difference is that Ampyra is time released, so you don't have to take it as often.

That wasn't enough of a difference to justify the cost for me.
                  Steve

Comment

I was going to, but the Ampyra would cost me $350 per month, compared to the $50 per month I'm paying for 4AP.
                    Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift!

Comment

Working...
                    X