Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

transition from avonex to rebif - anyone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transition from avonex to rebif - anyone else?

Hi All:

I am going off of Avonex and onto Rebif. I am mostly concerned about my flu-like symptoms. I was on avonex for about 5 years and the post injection 24hour flu-like symptoms were just as bad during the fifth year as the first. Now, on the rebif, I am experiencing the same symptoms three times per week. Anyone out there experience decreasing flu-like symptoms as you continue with the rebif? Mostly I am concerned about my quality of life. I don't want to feel cruddy most of the week.

Thanks! (on third week of rebif)

Some do better switching from A to R, because a more constant dose of the medication in your system can mean less side effects. Sorry this hasn't happened for you!

Comment

I've never been on Avonex but I have been on Rebif for over 5 years and I have to say that for me the flu-like side effects only occurred during the first 6 months and were easily handled with a couple of Aleve. Hope things turn around for you, Rebif has worked well for me as I've been flare free since starting it.
      Dx 4/04
      Copaxone 5/04-3/05
      Rebif 4/05-present

Comment

I was on Avonex for about 2 years. The side effects became unbearable! The switch was much better, side effects withRebif are almost non-existant. Been on Rebiff about 7 years now.-MIKE

But I still HATE shots!!!!!
        Dream like you will live forever, Live like you will die today.

Comment

I am in the process of transitioning to Rebif from Avonex, but I haven't done the full Rebif doseage yet. I will do the last 22 shot tomorrow, and then next week I will start the 44 dose shots. So I can't tell you how I'm doing with the side effects.

I had a routine down with the Avonex and slept through the worst of it, so I dreaded switching to Rebif for fear of what you are experiencing.

Sorry I'm not much help...i'll let you know how i do next week.
          Melody
          Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

was on avonex

Hi, I was on Avonex for 4 years, I had side effects every single week as well. I changed to Copaxone after my first child but now have had 2 recent flares and am switching to Rebif. I am very worried about this as well. I am only on the second week (8.8 mcg), and have had some mild side effects - headache, muscle ache....dreading higher doses...

We'll have to see how it goes. But I can't go on having flu symptoms 3 times a week forever!
            Dx: 2001
            Currently on Tysabri since Dec 2010
            Feel lucky to be doing so well!

Comment

I'm here to report on progress with the full dose of Rebif. After one week, I have a little bit of hope. I won't say that I feel awesome, and I need to talk to my neuro about how much advil is safe to take, but I feel like the side effects are manageable. I still certainly hope that they will go away completely, and feel frustrated that I have to manage the side effects at all. I would say that the side effects had a mild effect on my daily life - I chose some low energy tasks at work, and have done sitting jobs at home as well - also went out for burgers instead of cooking (that last one isn't so bad, only bad for the hips. )

I will continue to post reports, since there seem to be a few of us in this boat. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Seem to be doing better with side effects

I seem to be doing better with the side effects. I've now been through three weeks of the 44mcgs of Rebif. I still feel slightly flu-like for about 24 hours after the injection. I am treating that with some ibuprofen. Seems to be ok. However, after the once per week Avonex, I seem to think, "wait, it is time for ANOTHER injection, AGAIN?" I was also on copaxone for a while, so I have had daily injection experience. But two extra injections per week still seems a little strange, mostly for my remembering schedule.

The injections are quite stingy, and I notice that the sensation is more painful in some areas and less painful in others. Rubbing afterwards, as the directions indicate does help a lot though.

Comment

My side effects from Rebif went away after about 8 mos. I no longer get flu like sx. No more need for Ibuprofen!

Comment

So this is my first week on 44 mcg Rebif. Certainly more side effects than the 22, but way more tolerable than the Avonex side effects. Mild aches, but mostly headache and nausea. Hangs around for a good 24 hours. If this gets better after a few months, I should be able to handle this. I was so worried about the side-effects ruling my life all week. This just might work!
                    Dx: 2001
                    Currently on Tysabri since Dec 2010
                    Feel lucky to be doing so well!

Comment

Working...
                    X