FMLA ???'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMLA ???'s

My neuro wants me to get FMLA paperwork "just to have it" when I need it. If I do that will my employer find out my dx? I have not told anyone at work and don't want to. Anyone have experience with filing FMLA?

cali1892
    This is kind of tricky. From what I have read on the posts there are different reactions from different employers. Two years ago my neuro suggested I go ahead and put a FMLA doc in place with my employer. So I did. (I was out for only a week) They already knew of my illness so I submitted. The second year my HR director said it wasn't necessary because if I need to take leave I could request the documents at that time. It has a lot to do with the calendar year date for the form. You have to file every year at the same time due to expiration. Fortunately when I had to be out the second year it was a very simple process of my dr submitting a doc excusing me and I didn't have to do FMLA. (This time it was less than a week) I never had to use the form. This year I need FMLA for an unrelated issue and my HR was great once again. No questions asked. I really think it depends on management's view of their employees. Either you genuinely care for your employees or you don't. Hopefully my employer will continue to be supportive.

It depends on your company and you are the best judge of that. But, do know that your condition is not revealed on the form. It just states absence dates and any limitations for return.

Good luck with your decision - livinms

Comment

Originally posted by cali1892 View Post
      My neuro wants me to get FMLA paperwork "just to have it" when I need it. If I do that will my employer find out my dx? I have not told anyone at work and don't want to. Anyone have experience with filing FMLA?
      YES I HAVE IT JUST SAVES YOUR JOB WHILE YOUR OUT AND SO WHAT IF THEY FIND OUT YOU CANT BE SCARED OF HAVING MS JUST LETTHEM KNOW HONESTLY AND YOU WILL BE OK TRST ME SERAPIO

Comment

I just inquired about this at work today. My HR department suggested it may be good idea to have it on file with them "just in case". And there is something in there about using time intermittently, which I guess could be helpful with all the appointments that seem to consume your life, especially with a new diagnosis. I sent it in to my Doc and am hoping to have it in to my employer by the end of the week. I dont plan on taking any extended time off right now, but one never knows when they will need it with this damn disease.
        Courage is NOT the absence of fear, it is going forward in spite of fear. Diagnosed 5/27/10

Comment

My manager had told me that when people file FMLA, the manager wants to know why. I don't think it's right and that's why I have not filed one. He actually has to sign it when I submit it. It's a no - win situation for me.

Comment

Managers don't always know the rules

I agree with you, smcb. We had that problem at my former workplace. Managers and supervisors asking employees about FMLA and also doctor's notes limiting physical activity. There was alot of complaining and the Department of Labor actually sent a guy to give a class to managers and supervisors. So many rules were broken and in some case management still does break the rules if they think the employee doesn't know the rules.

I was a supervisor and I took a lateral move to a non-supervisory position in same pay grade, so they have put on the kid gloves with me. I can honestly say that I followed the rules and specifically told employees who wanted to confidentially tell me their medical issues to stop. It wasn't my business and I didn't want to get called on the carpet if word leaked out to the workforce. I told them to work within their limitations and let me know if they had problems. I did have to talk to more than one who tried to do stuff outside of their restrictions. It is a very fine line and sometimes management thinks they should know more than they need to know.

Even our HR got in trouble for asking an employee's doctor for specifics on her medical issue. Our in-house lawyer had to give him a dressing down and instructed him the intricacies of dealing with employees and their medical issues.

Comment

Thank you Dulcinea for sharing your experience. I work in healthcare and it's unbelievable how HIPAA is not enforced - especially at my workplace. The medical condition of the person filing for FMLA is open to breakfast/break/lunch conversation. I don't want to be that person and to get the "looks" - my symptoms are not obvious. I do find that my fatigue has increased significantly and have had to call in sick just to catch up.

Comment

employers

Originally posted by smcb95 View Post
                Thank you Dulcinea for sharing your experience. I work in healthcare and it's unbelievable how HIPAA is not enforced - especially at my workplace. The medical condition of the person filing for FMLA is open to breakfast/break/lunch conversation. I don't want to be that person and to get the "looks" - my symptoms are not obvious. I do find that my fatigue has increased significantly and have had to call in sick just to catch up.
                working in the healthcare business is the worst. I have had FMLA's before for my fibromyalgia and did not feel uneasy about it. It prevented them from disciplinary actions for too many call outs. However, MS is a different issue in my book, and I would be hesitant to mention it for fear of judgements.In healthcare you have to be 100% all the time, that's why I'm on disability now. I work in a Dialysis clinic where you go 90 miles an hour from 5am until 3pm!! There is no room for slackers.
                Debbie

Comment

Working in the Healthcare field...

I work in a hospital lab and have just returned to work after six weeks of FMLA absence. I'm fortunate in that my supervisor has missed a lot of time from work due to his own illness and is VERY understanding about my condition.

But I agree...HIPAA is so often a joke around in the healthcare setting. Everyone knew why I was gone for six weeks, when only my supervisor and HR knew the reasons.

It seems it has become necessary to be at your physical best in the work place these days in light of so many employers cutting staff (to save money) and spreading the increased workload among the remaining thinned staff. The stress level in our lab has increased to intolerable levels over the past couple of years -- certainly something someone with MS would like to avoid.

I've had RRMS for nearly thirty years, and the last twenty had been relatively quiet ... until the last two years. Now I'm dealing with the return of old symptoms again, plus a ton of fatigue -- so much so that even driving to work is a tremendous effort, and sometimes, impossible. I'm sure this added stress at work is playing a role in it.

Comment

THANKS FOR THIS DICUSSION..I HAVE NOT FILE FOR FMLA, HOWEVER GREAT INFORMATION.

Comment

i know this one

Say you are sick, you do NOT need to tell them sick of what! FMLA forms go thru dr's arena and should NOT be shown to ur supvsr or co-works. I had a pre-cert, meaning the dr stated i could be out 1-7 days a week 2times a month is needed. He had me cleared/ approved for 1yr at a time. So when I call out sick,, all i state is calling out per my pre-cert and give the number, that's IT.
                      Ur job will use it against you some way or another. Get your dr' to put for 1yr,, how long,, so if you run out of the 1250 hrs you need.. you are covered under pre-cert weather or not u have the hours!!!
                      hope this helps
                      DX JULY 2006
                      Used to use Avonex, not on REBIF as of 2009
                      baclofen, zanaflex

Comment

WOLFIE is right on

Wolfie has the facts right. Your medical information is your business. If you are FMLA approved, all you need to tell the boss is that you are sick and won't be there,,,, end of story..

Comment

FMLA required?

I would appreciate any comments regarding my employment situation. I have disclosed to my supervisor and have never been to the HR dept for anything in 22 years. I was just told by my supervisor that I need to apply with HR for FMLA because she has decided to require
                          that we conform to the dependability policy in which any
                          unscheduled absences per year will not exceed 6 days per year. I am not trusting of my employer especially in this
                          recession climate. I work in healthcare billing and was told that the reason I needed to do this was to protect her and myself. Upon reading the company policy on FMLA I have
                          concerns that this request is opening myself up for possible
                          job loss if I comply with this request. I also do not feel that
                          this is something that should be implied to be required. Since I disclosed my illness, I have felt discriminated
                          against and like a liability to her professional goals.
                          This request confirms this to me. My time so far has not been too much over her new requirement- our Vacation/Sick bank is separated between Scheduled Leave (24 hour notice) and Unscheduled which is sick leave which is impossible to schedule. Should I honor her request or wait until I approach and issue?

Comment

Hello stuckintime

The FMLA is designed to protect those of us who need to be off of work either for our own medical reasons, or to care for a family member who has a medical condition.

I was relieved of alot of stress when I finally gave in and filled out the paperwork, knowing that if I was having a severe fatigue day, I could call off with no questions asked, and it wouldn't be used against me.

This act was passed to benefit and protect the employee. With the unpredictability of MS, I would be afraid to not be protected by FMLA.

Take care,
                            KoKo
                            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the advice. I guess it is true that there is no
                              part of your life that this disease does not affect. It really is
                              hard to accept. Work used to be the highlight of my life, I have tried to find work that I enjoy and that fits my lifestyle and goals. It seems that $ and this disease keeps
                              me Stuckintime.

Comment

Working...
                              X