Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books about People with MS, by People with MS

Hi all,

I've read a few good books this past year written about MS by people who know MS. Some were recommended by this message board. I read Folded Notes and enjoyed the story of a young tennis player who changed her career (successfully) after being diagnosed.

I read Once in Every Generation which is about a music teacher whose star pupil is later diagnosed with MS

I read Blindsided and the second book, Strong at the Broken Places and found helpful and inspiring information in both of these.

And then I wrote my own story, Multiple Sclerosis, an Enigma. I self published it as a paperback and listed it on Kindle. More recently, I have added it as a Kindle title, with a free sample of the prologue and first chapter.

I would love to read here that some of you have taken advantage of the free sample.Will you do that?

Remember, you don't have to buy a Kindle to read a Kindle book ... you can easily download the Kindle reader software to your computer. It's easy, and on every Kindle book page.

Be well
    First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
    Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Generally speaking, I don't read books about PwMS. No offense to your writing, of course! It's just that I live it...don't especially feel the need to read about it,too. A juicy mystery is more my taste.

I have read one book by a PwMS, " Awkward *****: My Life with MS", by Marlo Donato Parmalee. The "*****" in the title is spelled correctly, no "*". I read that one mainly because when I was first dx'd, her videos on YouTube about injecting, relapses and a variety of other topics concerning life with MS weren't of the "woe is me, MS sucks" type. They were funny and offered a real look into what living with MS was like, warts and all, without being either too serious or sugar coated. I just had to see what she could do with a book.

I would like to take a look at yours,too. Is the Kindle version voice enabled? I can't read much, even with the huge text the Kindle has, so voice enabled books are a necessity.

Comment

Oh dear, the prologue will probably not please you, then, as it begins with tears of frustration. But chapter one is about a childhood in the fifties ... and as one reviewer at Amazon said, it is not a "pity me" book ... but rather one in which she sees me as the dragon slayer!

Yes, the kindle version is text enabled. Maybe one day, when I am a famous author, I can do an audible version with my own voice!

If you like to listen to short segments, (in my teacher voice) I invite you to my website's podcast page. I taught history, so all of the podcasts are of people and events in history, and few are longer than two or three minutes, but there are several there.

I can't give you an actual link here, but I can tell you that the name of the site is BeyondOldWindows, with the three w's and the dot com. Enjoy?
      First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
      Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Originally posted by chalknpens View Post
        Oh dear, the prologue will probably not please you, then, as it begins with tears of frustration. But chapter one is about a childhood in the fifties ... and as one reviewer at Amazon said, it is not a "pity me" book ... but rather one in which she sees me as the dragon slayer!

Yes, the kindle version is text enabled. Maybe one day, when I am a famous author, I can do an audible version with my own voice!

If you like to listen to short segments, (in my teacher voice) I invite you to my website's podcast page. I taught history, so all of the podcasts are of people and events in history, and few are longer than two or three minutes, but there are several there.

I can't give you an actual link here, but I can tell you that the name of the site is BeyondOldWindows, with the three w's and the dot com. Enjoy?
        I'll have to look up the podcasts! Two of my favorite podcasts are "Stuff You Should Know" and "Stuff You Missed in History Class". I do enjoy history now that no one gives me a quiz about it.

I'll check out the book ,too. Tears are a part of MS.

Comment

Working...
        X