Stem cell treatment in Israel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stem cell treatment in Israel

Since the thread is gone.....just thought I'd start a new one because I want to report how things have been post treatment for me.

I'd love to hear from the others too....there were so many people who were a part of that original thread and to hear how they are at this time would be wonderful.

My stem cell infusion took place in Greece on November 26, 2009. I've heard that they no longer perform it there, but in Switzerland. I'd love to hear from folks who have gone to Switzerland for the infusion!

Over the initial months after treatment, I experienced a decrease in fatigue, heat insensitivity, and vertigo. It's been 1-1/2 years since then and some of the improvements are still evident. The fatigue and heat sensitivity have been slowly creeping back but the vertigo remains gone.

I would go back for another treatment if money weren't an issue. I've also been told there was a significant cost increase of the second treatment.

There remain aspects of Slavin's treatment that I am disappointed in but having had the relief of some sx was and is a blessing. Some reported that their progression stopped; however, mine has marched on without pause.

If any of the previous stem cell infusion patients are still a part of this forum, it would be so nice to reconnect!!!

Each day as it's given....
    Trish
    I'm not perfect....just forgiven!

Hi Trish,

It is good to hear from another stem cell recipient. My daughter Janice received her stem cell infusion in Greece in January 2010. Since then she has seen very little improvement but also has not gotten any worse. She was diagnosed in March 2009 and had three major relapse that year. She started on Tysabri Sept. 2009 and continues with the infusions every six weeks. So it is difficult for me to determine if the stem cells are preventing her from relapsing or if it is the Tysabri. We are a little bit scared to stop the Tysabri and also a little bit scared to continue with it. All in all, if we had to do it again, I think I would probably have waited a little bit since she was so newly diagnosed. But perhaps it is helping? Wish I could be more helpful for those interested in giving it a try.
    It would be very interesting to hear from a Switzerland recipient.

Melinda
    Melinda
    Click on my user name to visit my JourneywithJanice blog and follow our stem cell adventure.

Comment

Hi Melinda!

Didn't you have a blog about Janice's stem cell journey? It's nice to hear that Janice is maintaining regardless of why. Last year, my neuro suggested Ty but I don't know what starting it at this point in the game would do. (I'm now SPMS).

I wish her the best!

Trish

Comment

Cost of second procedure??

I am still holding my own, but I've hit a plateau. Although I would have loved to have seen more improvedment with walking, I'm very happy that I saw any improvements from the procedure since I am SPMS. I remain pain free; I can be on my feet for an hour vs 15 minutes before; spacticity is reduced; and I've regained some leg strength. I feel greedy wishing I could walk better and longer.

I too would undergo a second treatment thru Slavin and would love to go to Switzerland vs Greece. I am dissappointed to hear that the cost has increased. Money is always a concern. I naively thought that the second procedure would be less expensive. Afterall, they took enough of bone marrow for a second treatment when I went to Israel. Any idea of the current price for the second procedure?

Comment

Did you guys just get stem cells injections, or did you go through an HSCT transplant procedure?

Comment

Originally posted by shucks View Post
            Did you guys just get stem cells injections, or did you go through an HSCT transplant procedure?
            The question to ask here is "was chemotherapy used, or not?"

No chemotherapy = no cure

This is because chemotherapy is required to render the body "antigen naive" which is required to stop the undelying autoreactivity of MS.

Comment

George,

I don't think the word cure is justified. I understand the basis for your opinion but that word implies a certainty about MS which I don't think exists nor reflects the variability of the disease among those of us who have it.
              Steve
              sometimes you can't make it on your own

Comment

Professor Slavin's protocol involves taking the patient's bone marrow to use to derive a particular type of stem cell and then inject those stem cells into the patient's spinal fluid.

Unlike George's transfusion, this protocol does not involve chemo nor is there any talk of cure. Many people have had improvements (and many have not) but the word cure is not a part of stem cell treatment.

Comment

What do you call it if it stops progression for 10yrs or more? I'm trying to figure out what to call it while trying to decide if it is right for me.

Comment

I was inspired of the story of yours. Thank you very much.

Comment

It's so frustrating that the US can't follow suit and take some initiative on more stem cell research! There's so much hope for people like you, and it could benefit untold numbers. Anyone else feel frustrated by this?

Comment

Lack of Stem Cell Research

Yes, I am frustrated at the lack of SC research, which is why I went to Israel. When I went to Slavin, SC research options were even fewer, especially for those of us that have progressed or are "too old". Was it a cure for me? No. Did it help? Yes. I had some improvements and it slowed the progression. Still thinking about a 2nd txmt, but need to figure out $$.

Comment

Stem cell supplement

Stem cell supplement is a cheaper option.

Comment

Stem Cell activator?

I wondered about this supplement and wanted to ask here but didn't wanna look like a wackadoo Has anyone here tried something like this?

S

Comment

Originally posted by S 31 View Post
                              I wondered about this supplement and wanted to ask here but didn't wanna look like a wackadoo Has anyone here tried something like this?

S
                              Yup. It improve my energetic.

Comment

Working...
                              X