Needle in my eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needle in my eye

Does anyone else have this? I feel like someone has jabbed me in the corner of my left eye with a needle. Today is was REALLY painful, more like a stick. A neuro-ophthalmalogist (sp?) told me that it was dry eyes, but it's only my left eye. After the pain, my eye waters somewhat and then I'm slightly more sensitive to light.
    Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

been happening to me for 2 yrs. Went to Neuro opth, at local university hospital. They actually scraped my tear ducts and sent me home with regimine of eye washes, as I too have dry eyes.
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Oh yea- I had that back in 1997. Just afew times, maybe months apart. It only lasted afew seconds, but that's exactly how I described it -- as a needle poking my eye!!

I wasn't dx yet, went to my reg eye doc and he referred me to a optamolagist (sp?), anyway some eye specilist (sp?). She too thought maybe ms, but things just didn't fit together right. Concluded it was a virus.

Other than that, never had much eye problems. Is just went away and never came back. I am sure it was ms related.

Good luck and hope you find some answers soon!

Comment

I have dry eyes and sometimes it hurts like an SOB. And it can just be in one spot in one eye. There have been times when my every waking moment has been consumed by thoughts of how much my eyes hurt.

Dryness and irritation can be concentrated in just one spot, and the discomfort in that one spot can continue to get worse. The reflex watering is very typical of a dry eye.

There is no mystery disease that causes the kind of sticking pain you're describing. Dry eye is the primary suspect. It's fairly common and not known to be associated with any one particular condition -- and isn't diagnostic of any one condition -- but is highly associated with autoimmune conditions in general, which include MS and even diabetes.

The next step is to see your optometrist or general ophthalmologist and have your dry eye condition assessed. Depending on what the doctor finds, you might be able to get away with just using artificial tears, or you might benefit from a prescription eyedrop like a mild steroid or Restasis. Or you can just live with it. But, for the health of your eyes, treating it is better.

Comment

Yes I have this and I too have dry eyes. Dr has never said it was from dry eyes and my eye sight is ok.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

Thanks for the responses

I have tear that I use. Scraping of ducts sounds painful. Yesterday was the worst one. It's so sudden, and everyone just wonders why I've suddenly grabbed my face and sworn.
            Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

Comment

Dry eyes

I had laser surgery in my eyes 11 years ago now - for my vision. I was near sighted. My mom was legally blind. My right eye has some scar tissue because I had dry eyes after the surgery. It took all of 8 seconds each eye(the surgery). The left eye is fine. I asked the Dr. if he would go back in to repair it, and he said that he would be afraid that there could be a worse outcome! Quite often I feel like I've lost an eyelash in my eye. My vision is still good though.

Comment

Originally posted by CGMoonbeam View Post
                I have tear that I use. Scraping of ducts sounds painful. Yesterday was the worst one. It's so sudden, and everyone just wonders why I've suddenly grabbed my face and sworn.
                CG,
                The scraping is uncomfortable but NOT painful.
                Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Severe Pain

That was the worst pain I ever had. I Pray for you & that I may never have to experience that again. I too had that (trigeminal neuralgia) with severe pain.
                  It was like having a hot poker into the eye through you're head.

It happened to me when I was taking a (strict EMT)test. I was drooling, my eyes were watering, I couldn't speak,write or see. Someone had to drive me home. It lasted for about 6 months about 20Xs a day lasting about 1/2 hr. each until the Tylenol kicked in. I was lucky for that.

I remember laying on the couch, sobbing in pain. I was Praying to God that the pain wouldn't be permanent. But, by the grace of God the pain went away. It been 4 years now. "I do feel your Pain".

Tylenol worked for me Thank God.
                  Go bless & Take Care!
                  Andy

Comment

Eye Pain

It sounds like it's MS related to me.

Someone on this board also posted the same type of eye pain. They take Tegretol for pain. They also said; they get it in the side of their face up to eye then in front of their cheek with some pain in the jaw. The first signs for them, was the stabbing eye pain and tearing, then the pain radiating to the temple.
                    Andy

Comment

Thanks for posting, all. Andy, fortunately, mine has never gotten quite that severe. I'm sorry. Thanks for the info, everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X