considering therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

considering therapy

I will make this short and sweet. I am 24 was diagnosed September 2011 at 23 years old. It has been hard on me even though I have dealt with MS before. (My father has had it for 15 years). I take my copaxone everyday (missing a shot is not an option), I go to yoga, and I eat right. Even as much as I am upset, angry, grieving, depressed.... I will not stop fighting.

Recently I have been feeling really down. Feeling like I am missing something..... Support. I have my dad who understands all of my emotions, feelings, and fears. I also have my boyfriend, who is trying his very best to learn about MS and understand everything I am going through. The part that upsets me is that is not the only family in my life. My parents are divorced and I have a big family on my mom's side who I still talk to... just not about the MS. Most...all (minus my dad) of my family like to pretend that there is nothing wrong because "they are only positive in their household" aka it is not okay to be scared or upset.

My boyfriend's family prefers to ask my boyfriend and then WHEN we do talk they like to pretend there is nothing going on either. (even though I have talked to them once about it before I was officially diagnosed).
    I guess it is just hard because I still talk to these people but not about the MS which lets be honest. That is the biggest NEW thing in my life right now that I am still trying to figure out.

So I have been considering seeing a psychologist. I think it will help me come to terms with my MS but I am not so sure it will help me with my family issues. The way I feel is this: "If you are absent in my struggles do not expect to be present during my success." will smith.
    Any thoughts on therapy? and if it is worth the money?
    You were dealt a hard card, but take comfort in the fact that you are strong because the strong are the ones that are tried the hardest.

Good for you for refusing to stop fighting

Before my MS Dx I had been fighting anger & depression for years and I found that therapy really helped.

As for cost, it was covered by my tuition at the time so it wasn't a huge issue (though it was only limited to about 8 sessions). Another option that you may want to consider is an MS support group or other support group in your area. While these people aren't licensed psychologists, my one psych prof mentioned that having other people who are open and willing to listen to you is as helpful as therapy with a psychologist/psychiatrist.

Hang in there and feel free to vent here Hope you find what's right for you to get you into a better place emotionally.
    Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
    UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Also - the therapy did help. If I remember correctly, the therapist I saw employed cognitive behavior therapy which was basically to change my perspective on situations/circumstances in order to direct my mood into a more positive direction. It wasn't to deny the existence of the problems but rather changed how I saw them. Really helped with the excessive anger too.

Comment

I went through therapy a while ago for severe depression. This was before the MS, but it was more to just work through some issues with my family. That didn't really stick so now I feel like what I am looking for is just going to be wasted time and money.

I go to my support group once a month and I have a friend from there about my age that I talk to a lot. It is nice to be able to vent to her and to the people that do understand. I guess what I really want now more than ever is understanding from my family and people to respect simple wishes. (E.G if you have a question about me and my MS come to me do not go behind my back to find out how I am because honestly I am the one trying to deal with this)

I feel selfish for wanting to have nothing to do with certain people that can't be there for me. My dad keeps saying you just have to let it slide, but I wonder do I have to compromise on everything in my life. I would never treat anyone the way I have been treated over being diagnosed. Maybe therapy would really help me come to terms with things and make up my mind as to whether I wanted to cut some ties or not.

Thank you for letting me vent.
        You were dealt a hard card, but take comfort in the fact that you are strong because the strong are the ones that are tried the hardest.

Comment

Originally posted by flipz11 View Post
          My dad keeps saying you just have to let it slide, but I wonder do I have to compromise on everything in my life. I would never treat anyone the way I have been treated over being diagnosed. Maybe therapy would really help me come to terms with things and make up my mind as to whether I wanted to cut some ties or not.

Thank you for letting me vent.
          A wise friend said something today that I hope will help you: ''You can't change the people around you, you can only CHOOSE the people around you!''

To let them get to you is like letting them live rent-free in your head. Forgive them, as difficult as it is - it'd be like handing over an eviction notice and the one that benefits the most will be you.

Comment

Working...
          X